Combination locks are a great way to keep your valuables safe. You can secure your locker, bike, diary, etc., without the hassle of carrying a key with you. But what happens when you forget what the combination is? Do not fear! You can do a couple of things to open up your lock so you can get back to using it.
Forgot Master Lock Combination?
If your lock is not attached to anything you can look up the serial number stamped onto the back. Once you locate it you should follow the correct procedure to mail a photocopy to the master lock company to get the combination. If there is no serial number, or the lock is attached onto something this will not work, so you will need to take additional steps.
If the Lock is Being Used…
If the lock is attached to something at the time you forgot the master lock combination you have thwo options. You can break the lock, or figure out the combination.
How to Crack the Code
1) Turn the lock clockwise for three rotations to clear it, and leave it at zero.
2) Put pressure on the shackle part and turn the dial slowly.
3) Turn and apply pressure until you find a point where you can’t turn any further (this is the first number).
4) Continue to apply tension but start turning left until it stops again (this is the second #).
5) These two numbers are the sticking range.
6) Stop applying pressure and turn past the sticking point.
7) Reapply tension and turn to find more sticking points (there should be 12 altogether).
8) Only consider the whole numbers (this should eliminate 7).
9) Of the remaining numbers, the one that does not end in the same number as the others is the third number in the combination.
10) Divide the 3rd number by 4 and remember the remainder (this is the magic number).
11) Add 4 to the magic number and write it down, add four to that number, continue this until you have gone completely around the dial (one of these will be the first number).
12) Add 2 to the magic number and write it down, add four to that number, and continue this process until you have gone completely around the dial (one of these will be the second number).
13) Of the possible second numbers cross out the numbers plus or minus 2 from the third number.
14) Using the leftover numbers, use trial by error to try and figure out the combination.
If you have more questions about forgotten master lock combinations you should try to talk to a professional so that you can get the best help possible. The easiest, fastest way to get in contact with reliable local locksmith companies is to use Seva Call. Just put in your problem and availability and let them do all the work. Within minutes you will be connected to someone who will be able to help you out.