Leather seats can really improve the appearance of your car by adding a feeling of affluence and decorum. Although they can become a pain when they heat up in the summer and freeze in the winter, many people continue to get leather seat upgrades when they buy new cars. But what happens when these leather seats begin to crack? They can quickly become an eyesore that ruins the overall appeal of your car. Read on to learn how to repair cracked leather seats.
You can easily fix the cracks that appear on leather seats if you have the right materials.
You will need:
- dish soap
- warm water
- a couple cloths
- scouring pad
- denatured alcohol
- 240-grit sandpaper
- blow dryer
- leather prep
- Sport Seal
1. Combine a few drops of the dish soap with warm water in a large bucket.
2. Scrub the entire seat clean with a cloth.
3. Dry it off with a new cloth. Repeat this process another time but with the scouring pad to get a deeper clean. This will ensure that there is no dirt or any particles to ruin the seats when you are trying to fix them.
4. Now that the seats are clean you should apply a little bit of denatured alcohol to a paper towel or cloth and wipe every part of the seat down. Do not let this dry naturally; instead, dry the seats manually with a cloth.
5. Dip the 240-grit sandpaper into the soapy water to soften it a bit. Sand down the areas of the leather seats with the cracks and the dye will start to move underneath. Move the lifted dye until the cracks are completely filled and the leather is smooth.
6. Wipe done the seats with a towel and blow dry the seats until they are completely dry.
7. Now that the cracks have been filled, you can protect the patch up you just did. Apply a thin layer of leather prep to the entire seat. Follow this with a thin coat of Sport Seal to each of the damaged areas. Allow this to dry. This should take care of all the cracks in the leather seats.
Still have cracked seats?
If you still have problems with your cracked leather seats, you should seek professional help. Use TalkLocal to be put in contact with reliable local auto repair businesses. You don’t have to do any work! Simply input your problem and availability and within minutes you should be connected to someone who can help you out.