While galvanized metal roofs are usually weather-resistant, they’ll eventually begin peeling and rusting, making them extremely unattractive. In these cases, the peeling and rusting usually signifies that it’s time to give your roof a fresh coat of paint. Read on for step-by-step directions on how to paint a galvanized metal roof.
1. Scrape down the roof
You need to remove any accumulated rust on your galvanized metal roof so that you can repaint it successfully.
- Take a putty knife or paint scraper to remove as much old peeling paint and rust from your roof.
- Follow that up by using a power washer to clean the rest of your roof and to remove debris.
2. Remove any mildew or algae
Mildew and algae can actually compromise the galvanized roof’s integrity and may lead to expensive problems in the future, so this step makes sure your roof is clean and protected.
- Make a mixture of 1 part bleach, 1 part trisodium phosphate, and 4 parts water.
- Apply that solution all over the roof.
- After allowing it to dry, wash it off with water.
3. Prime and paint the roof
- Choose an appropriate galvanized metal primer and prime your entire roof. Wait until the primer dries completely before applying the actual paint.
- For the top-coat paints, you’ll want to choose the appropriate type of paint for your climate. You may want to talk with a painting expert so you can choose the best paint for the conditions your roof is in, but you’ll generally want to use an acrylic latex paint.
- Apply at least two coats of paint to the roof so that you have even and complete coverage over your entire roof and allow it to completely cure (it can take up to 2 weeks).
Painting a galvanized metal roof can be time consuming, labor intensive, and potentially dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing. It’s highly recommended that you at least consult with a professional roofing contractor who is experienced with galvanized metal roofing. TalkLocal makes it really easy to talk with roofing professionals, connecting you with a high quality local professional in just minutes. You’ll have your roof painted in no time!